Data Science: The Future of Tomorrow's Workforce and Culture
Artificial intelligence (AI) is everywhere. What used to be the main concept for science fiction movies and novels is now a fully realized part of our society. Speakers execute voice commands, phones use face recognition to animate digital characters, and apps solve problems and perform tasks that would have previously taken an eternity to accomplish. The best part? All that advanced technology is concealed beneath touch screens and sleek designs.
When 72% of business leaders believe that AI is going to be a fundamental part of the future, and have deemed it to be a “business advantage,” it’s clear to see that AI is the future of tomorrow’s workforce and culture.
Here are the basics.
The Basics of Data Science
Much like the gas your car needs (or electricity if you drive a Tesla), data science is what makes artificial intelligence go. Hal Varian, Chief Economist at Google, says data science is “[t]he ability to take data- be able to understand it, process it, extract value from it, to visualize it, to communicate it.” That skill, he says, “is going to be hugely important in the next decades.” This is why artificial intelligence is so important; because AI uses data science to drive results for business leaders.
Robots Are Not Going to Take Your Job
A study done at Oxford University discovered that “47% of U.S. workers have a high probability of seeing their jobs automated over the next 20 years.” While it may seem like a scary prospect, one of which could have serious economic and social consequences, the role of artificial intelligence is a supporting one.
George Krasadakis, Senior Program Manager at Microsoft, writes that:
“[a]rtificial intelligence will have a supportive role to humans- empowering the human factor to perform better in handling complex and critical situations which require judgment and creative thinking.”
A great example of this is the education system. Schools have adapted alongside technology to provide students with more information that’s delivered in a relevant way. From virtual classes to custom computer-generated lesson plans, artificial intelligence has countless applications. Similarly, the tech, healthcare and finance industries are following suit—they’re looking for ways to integrate artificial intelligence into their culture while empowering their users.
Current Applications and Benefits of AI Across Industries
Across industries, the applications of artificial intelligence are minimal, but its impact is readily apparent. AI is changing everything from enterprise web development services to education, and even the auto industry. For instance, take a look at a few examples of how AI is being used across industries to empower users and streamline processes:
- Microsoft’s Hanover Project is using artificial intelligence in the healthcare industry to help individuals determine which cancer treatment are best for them.
- A recent research award given to SLAC researchers at Stanford University is allowing them to explore the application of AI to an autonomous energy grid to improve stability and management of various energy types.
- The marketing industry is using artificial intelligence to create customized campaigns for their digital advertising strategies.
- JPMorgan Chase is using the power of artificial intelligence with image recognition software to enable users to access data in seconds as opposed to hours.
These are just a couple industries where AI is already making a significant impact. The potential for what this technology can accomplish is unlimited and the benefits are already beginning to yield results for business owners.
Tools of the Trade
Now that you understand the basics of data science and understand the trajectory of artificial intelligence, it’s time to examine some tools that will help you leverage the power of AI for your company. The following are a couple apps that will help your team enhance their productivity with the help of AI:
- Legal Robot: If you’re a business leader that isn’t legally savvy, this product can help you create and understand your legal documents through an AI-powered process called deep learning. It allows Legal Robot “to use statistical techniques to identify potential issues in your document.”
- Chatfuel: Social media can be a burden, especially when you’re an entrepreneur— that’s where AI comes in! This chat system helps you create a chatbot for marketing, sales and support.
- Smartly AI: If you’re looking to break into voice-powered technology, this app uses AI to help your create, monitor and deploy voice activations for smart speakers.
- Clara: This app is the best personal assistant you’ll ever need because it can coordinate your team’s meetings and schedules, and even book rooms for you!
- Apptus: If you’re an eCommerce business owner, this is the AI-powered app you need. It will enhance your eCommerce platform through predictive merchandising, recommendations and streamlined search and site navigation.
Artificial intelligence has a major role in tomorrow’s workforce and culture, but it also has the potential to drive real results for your business today. By staying updated on the current tools and trends of the tech industry, you can make informed decisions about how to integrate this advanced technology into your business strategy. Before you go, let’s take a look at those tips one more time:
- Data science is the fuel for artificial intelligence
- AI is about supporting and empowering human jobs, not taking them away
- Across industries, artificial intelligence is already making a huge impact in a variety of ways
There are AI powered tools for all kinds of business leaders that you can use today