R for Business Analysts, NYC Data Science Academy in-person training | November 6 @NYC
The skills the authors demonstrated here can be learned through taking Data Science with Machine Learning bootcamp with NYC Data Science Academy.
R is a powerful language used widely for business analytics. More companies are seeking business analysts with knowledge of R for data.
In this R for Business Analysts course, students will learn how data science is done in the wild, with a focus on data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation, exploratory data analysis and visualization, feature engineering, and model creation and validation. Students use the R statistical programming language to work through real-world examples that illustrate these concepts. Concurrently, students learn some of the statistical and mathematical foundations that power the data-scientific approach to problem solving.
Classes will be given in a lab setting, with student exercises mixed with lectures. Students should bring a laptop to class. There will be a modest amount of homework after each class. Due to the focused nature of this course, there will be no individual class projects but the instructors will be available to help students who are applying R to their own work outside of class.
Designed and taught by Brennan Lodge, Team Lead at Bloomberg. Watch his interview here.
- Dates: November 6th - December 11th, 2017
- Time: Mondays & Wednesdays | 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM EST
- Venue: 500 8th Ave., Suite 905, New York, NY 10018 (5 min from Penn Station)
Who Is This Course For?
This course is for anyone with a basic understanding of data analysis techniques and business analysts interested in improving their ability to tackle problems involving multi-dimensional data in a systematic, principled way. A familiarity with the R programming language is helpful, but unnecessary if the pre-work for the course is completed (more on that below).
- R Programming – https://www.rstudio.com/online-learning/#R
- R Studio Essentials Programming 1: Writing Code https://www.rstudio.com/resources/webinars/rstudio-essentials-webinar-series-part-1/
Upon completing the course, students have:
- An understanding of data science business problems solvable using R and an ability to articulate those business use cases from a statistical perspective.
- The ability to create data visualization output with Rmarkdown files and Shiny Applications.
- Familiarity with the R data science ecosystem, strategizing and the various tools a business analyst can use to continue developing as a data scientist.
Unit 1: Data Science and R Intro
- Big Data
- Data Science
- Roles in Data Science
- Use Cases
- Class Format overview
- R Background
- R Intro
- R Studio
Unit 2: Visualize
- Rules of the road with data viz
- Chart junk
- Chart terminology
- Clean chart
- Scaling data
- Data Viz framework
- Code plotting
Unit 3: R Markdown
- Presenting your work
- R markdown file structure
- Code chunks
- Generating a R markdown file
- Rmarkdown Exercise
Unit 4: Shiny
- Shiny structure
- Reactive output
- Rendering Output
- Stock example
- Hands-on challenge
Unit 5: Data Analysis
- How to begin your data journey?
- The human factor
- Business Understanding
- EDA – Exploratory Data Analysis
- Data Anomalies
- Data Statistics
- Key Business Analysis Takeaways
- Diamond data set exercise
- Hands on challenge with Bank Marketing
Unit 6: Introduction to Regression
- Regression Definition
- Examples of regression
- Formulize the formula
- Statistical definitions involved
- mtcars regression example
- Business use case with regression
Unit 7: Introduction to Machine Learning
- ML Concept
- Types of ML
- CRISP Model
- Titanic Example
- Decision Trees
- Feature Engineering
Unit 8: Strategy
- Data Driven Decision Making
- Data Science Strategy
- Strategy Fails
- Macroeconomic strategy
- Data Science Project
- Data Impact
- Project guide
- Opportunities for improvement
- Big Box Store Strategic Exercise
Seats are filling up fast! Sign up now.
If you have any questions about our course or the application process, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email.