San Diego's Best Burritos
Given southern California's proximity to the border, the culinary benefits of immediate access to Mexican cuisine are probably embodied most prominently by that great cylindrical wonder, the Burrito!!!
This gastronomic masterpiece that permeates the Southern California landscape, is without a doubt, come to become one of the fundamental mainstays of the foodie critic, college crowd and late night party-er alike. With this in mind, it seems only appropriate that we do our best to help those who desire that best burrito experience, whether between classes as a snack, or after that half bottle of Jose Cuervo at 3 a.m, indulge in their ideal of burrito nirvana.
The data that was used to guide our fellow eaters were taken from a set of over 200 burritos from around 50 restaurants in the San Diego area. Each burrito was rated on 10 fundamental attributes: Volume, Wrap integrity, Synergy, Uniformity, Meat quality, Salsa quality, Non-meat fillings, Meat to Filling Ratio, Tortilla quality and Temperature.
Extended descriptions of some of the selected attributes are as follows:
- Volume - “size matters,” “bigger is better,” or whatever your favorite innuendo is fits because there’s nothing more disconcerting than ordering a burrito and not being full.
- Wrap integrity - you ordered a burrito, not a burrito bowl.
- Flavor synergy - "That magical aspect a great burrito has, making everything come together like it is a gift from the skies" - A wise Dutchman
- Uniformity - Bites full of sour cream and cheese with no meat are disappointing.
- Meat quality
- Salsa quality - and variety!
- Non-meat filling quality
- Meat : filling - The ratio between meat and non-meat. Perhaps the golden ratio: 1.6180339887…
- Tortilla quality
- Temperature - the Goldilocks zone
Each of the attributes were rated on a 0-5 scale, (0-worst, 5-best). Additional metrics included the reviewer's score on the same scale, as well as the average Google and Yelp rating for the restaurant, and a cost and type for each type of burrito.
The first question to occur was what would happen if you were in a particular neighborhood and needed that burrito fix immediately. To this end my app is geared to help you get that good stuff immediately, i.e what's closest to your proximity. The city of San Diego has many distinct and vibrant neighborhoods, and if you looked on the map, you would immediately zoom in on where you were to get the Mexican goodness.